Monday, June 7, 2010

Walmart's Generic Great Value Kool Aid

On my recent trip to the US I decided to stock up on Kool Aid for wool dyeing. As luck would have it, I happened to do my Kool Aid shopping while I was at Walmart. In addition to Strawberry, Lemon-Lime and Orange Kool Aid brand, I also decided to pick up some of Walmart's generic "Kool Aid" in cherry, grape and lemonade.











I can't remember the exact price of the Kool Aid versus the Walmart brand, but it was definitely a significant savings. Maybe somewhere in the neighbourhood of half the price? Well, for that kind of savings, I figured it was worth a go. Plus a lot of generic brands are made in the exact same factories as the name brand stuff - so who cares what the package says?

Yesterday was a rainy Sunday afternoon, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to get some trial dyeing done. I dyed 50 grams each of the cherry, grape and lemonade. I used two packets per each 50 grams... except for the lemonade. After putting two packets of lemonade in, the water was still extremely light in colour. I decided to put in four packets instead to make it more yellow.

Here are my dyeing results...










1 comment: